Omnicell Inventory Management

Aleviating Healthcare Headaches
Omnicell Inventory Management Hero
  • Role
    UX Research, Experience Design, Interface Design, Content Writing
  • Team
    1 Product Designer, 5 Int. Backend/Frontend Engineers, 1 Product Mngr, 2 Engineering Mngr, 1 Embedded SME
  • Timeframe
    October 2020 - Current


Transform complex workflows into easy-to-understand processes. Determine pain points and opportunities within medication management.


Leverage subject matter experts to understand nuances of this complicated space. Utilize common web patterns to ensure an intuitiveness. Create information heirarchy with roll-up data in tiles.

Personas & COMMON Workflows

The first step was gaining an understanding of the user and the tasks they hoped to accomplish, as well as the priotiy and frequency of those tasks.

Workflow Example: Matching



The next step was understanding the requirements and investigating the current approach to meet them. Initial impressions: complex tasks muddled in complex architecture. Diagraming those workflows helped to illuminate opportunities for simplification. While reduction in pages played a part, reframing and rephrasing content was imperative.



The existing workflow was disorienting in its navigational complexity. Attribute labels were repeated in the two cards for current and suggested match. The new workflow leveraged a common column pattern seen on marketing websites when comparing plans. I also added a data point for "Confidence" to explain the piority of match recommendations.

Workflow Example: Pricing




In this project, there was no existing workflow. An exciting greenfield venture. Cards were added for two purposes: the cards act as a navigation method, and as a place for rollup data. This allowed users to only dive deeper if the rollup data was compelling. Combining cards with split table layout allows users to see averages as all levels: enterprise, site, and cabinet.

Trends was an important factor to communicate. At first, I used line graphs, which didn't translate at smaller sizes. Switching to bar graphs allowed the visual to work at any size. A color system was implemented to allow the user to quickly determine when prices were increasing, decreasing or stabalized.